Thread: Looking into New tires soon need some recomendations

Looking into New tires soon need some recomendations

My tread have about 30% tread left so I'm looking into new tires soon. I currently have 32" Cooper discover STT and they have been great especially off-road. I have a 3"SL also. Anyone have any A/T or other M/Ts recommendation with their Gen 1?

I assume you're currently running 265/75s? A few people I know in gen 1 Tacomas have had some great luck with the Cooper ST Maxx. A bit nicer on road ride, still very capable off road. Price is leaps and bounds better too.
    montanaoverland.wordpress.com
    -An overland/travel blog

"Nancy": 2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
    120xxx miles
    Yakima LoadWarrior
    Xoskel LoPro Bar
    OME /PML
    ARB Bumper
    CVT RTT on Front Runner Bed Rack
    AC HD Steering Package
    235/85R16 Hercules Terra Trac D/Ts

The mountains call, and I must go

I'm running BFG km2s in my 2000 live them.. But I wouldn't used them for DD. Too much money
    just to wear out on road use. On the 2009 we have BFG KOs handle great on road and off.

I had had good year duratracs and they were a good tire both on and off road but I cut 2 sidewalls with them

www.wentwindrock.com - National Nissan SUV / Truck event
    www.xterranation.org - Xterra site
    www.overlandnation.com - Overland forum
    www.nissannationpodcast.com - Nissan chat

Quote Originally Posted by drbandkgb View Post
    I had had good year duratracs and they were a good tire both on and off road but I cut 2 sidewalls with them
    I've heard that a lot about those. 2 ply sidewalls.
    -An overland/travel blog

120xxx miles
    Yakima LoadWarrior
    Xoskel LoPro Bar
    OME /PML
    ARB Bumper
    AC HD Steering Package

Yeah I was really impressed with them besides the east to cut side walls

www.wentwindrock.com - National Nissan SUV / Truck event
    www.xterranation.org - Xterra site
    www.overlandnation.com - Overland forum
    www.nissannationpodcast.com - Nissan chat

Quote Originally Posted by WreckDiver1321 View Post
    I assume you're currently running 265/75s? A few people I know in gen 1 Tacomas have had some great luck with the Cooper ST Maxx. A bit nicer on road ride, still very capable off road. Price is leaps and bounds better too.
    I'm running 15" DR wheels 32"x 11.5 Unfortunately they don't make those in 15's. I wanted to get those before i got the discoverer stt

Quote Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
    I'm running 15" DR wheels 32"x 11.5 Unfortunately they don't make those in 15's. I wanted to get those before i got the discoverer stt
    Damn. That makes it tough. Your options look pretty limited in that size. From what your choices are, I think the STT might be the best option. There is the BFG AT, but it's a lot less aggressive. Still a good tire though. There's also the Dunlop Mud Rover, which is a great all around tire similar to the original BFG MT, but it's got no siping so it'd be worthless on snow and ice if you encounter that sort of weather. Otherwise a good design.

Beyond that, there's the KM2 and MTR, both of which aren't great road tires, but awesome off road.
    -An overland/travel blog

120xxx miles
    Yakima LoadWarrior
    Xoskel LoPro Bar
    OME /PML
    ARB Bumper
    AC HD Steering Package

I can't help much with what brand of tire you need, but after shopping around for mine recently - I gotta say I was impressed with how cheap I found them at the local Discount Tire!

Is anyone running 33"s with just a 3"SL? if so was there any mods you had to do?

Is anyone running 33"s with just a 3"SL? if so was there any mods you had to do?
    You'll be fine. Maybe have to remove mudflaps and minor trimming of the inner fender but nothing serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by frontierfreak7 View Post
    You'll be fine. Maybe have to remove mudflaps and minor trimming of the inner fender but nothing serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just wondering for gen 1 cause I've heard that those who wheel a lot with Gen 1 using 33's tend to have serious rubbing especially rock crawling. My 32"s X 11.5 do perfect but they come pretty close, I've had to adjust the steering due to the tires rubbing on the frame really bad. 33's are easier to find and sometimes cheaper. I'm thinking on doing 33" X 12.5 next

Depends on the wheels as much as anything.

I put my 33's on with just the 3" s.l. ... deep offset 15x10 wheels required trimming the fender all the way to the door just to turn full-lock sitting level. I added a 2" body lift so that I can articulate, but still rub when really stuffed & turning the wheel.

I don't have much for before & after pics, but pulled-in next to this stocker the other day & snapped a pic for reference here, re. fender trimmage:

Okay, okay - so maybe that last pic didn't have anything to do with fender trimmage ...

After another 80mile interstate run through thunderstorms last night, I gotta say - these Goodyear MTR's are awesome!
    I've never felt so well-planted on wet blacktop in mud-terrains before!

Nice! What size are those?
    ~ I love a scotch old enough to order its own scotch.

33x12.5x15's

For a 33 12.5/15 on mine I had to trim to the fire wall,,, flatten the pinch seam on the fender well, and move the guard on the fuel lines up a couple of inches.